Sunday, April 15, 2007

Vasaliki - world mosiac studios and market




My inspiration about this project came out of Branly Museum in Paris especially from the different color coxed it has which each one has not only different color but also different culture and light.
When I then visited Brick Lane in London I automatically thought about Branly Museum since in my opinion the two sites have a link between them because at Brick Lane different cultures are gathered in addition to create the basic picture of a market and I compared that with how mosaics must gather together to create a picture.
I start doing a research about Brick Lane’s history and I discovered that different cultures lived there through ages.
Now Brick Lane occupies from young Londoners and Europeans which they have trendy shops and cafes and Indian-Bangladeshi which they have shops with frozen fish, leather bags, spices etc. these two cultures are separate because of their different culture, color and believing.
After seeing how people can separate because their believes I decided to create workshops and shop for mosaic. The whole project will be also suitable for disabled people, which that means each space will have a ramp for easier access and generally the whole setup will be appropriate. By doing the project, I want to give the opportunity to different kind of people to come and work together without any racism.

1 comment:

Rubbena said...

Would this space also be accessible for those who are Deaf? Deaf artists would need flashing door bell and fire, check out www.rnid.org see what is needed for health and safety requirement for Deaf people in a working space.