Sunday, April 22, 2007

Matt - graffiti studios


The main aspect of the Truman brewery site is its number of different programmes, which mirror the diversity of its context. Brick lane is a culturally socially and architecturally diverse area. My intention is to insert a new programme, which can operate alongside the existing. I am using the ground floor site which is a market and a car park at various times of the week. I am inserting large facades and suspended canvas- like panels which occupies the negative ceiling space and the negative space during the market and car park. These are intended for graffiti artists to commander and create and exhibit their work. The panels will expose the existing structure as not to lose the buildings essence. I’m inserting a storage/ staircase for the artists tools. My next challenge is incorporating a new access friendly method of use. Due to the nature of my art this new programme and design will mirror the guerrilla tactics adopted by graffiti artists.

No comments: