Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Kerry - accessible artists studios


My project is located on the ground floor of the Truman Brewery along the Hanbury Street elevation of the building. I am working on designing a studio for a fine artist, predominantly a painter.
The main issue I have encountered with the ground floor of the building is the small amount of natural light that gets into the floor; I have begun to think about making incisions in the building to allow more light into the area.
The main aspect of my design is looking at an interaction between the studios, artists and the public in the Brick lane area. The area around the brewery is buzzing with young culture and boasts three local markets that regularly have artworks for sale, artists in the area would find the brewery an inspiring and productive place to work. In my design for the studios I want to create an opportunity for the artists to display their work to the public in the surrounding area. My ideas so far have been looking at a threshold in the wall that could change in some way to exhibit work at particular times, for example on the market Sundays. I have been looking at multifunctional spaces that work with moving parts for example the Stephen Holl museum in New York.

The two workshop days have helped me improve my idea greatly. I have spoken to both Neomi and Rubbena and they both have given me so many things to think about I feel it has added richness to my project. After spending time with Neomi I have considered access into the space and as there is a change in heights between the outside and the interior. I have designed ramps to come directly into the studios. Thinking about access after the workshop days my ideas for the ramps came naturally and are now a feature in my design rather than being just ‘plonked’ in afterwards. I feel that as a designer talking to the artists in this stage of our project has been a real help, I have had more to think about when designing my studios but I think it has made my design more interesting and has not compromised any of my early design ideas.

No comments: